“I need to step it up about five notches, stat,” my friend texted, obviously frustrated about trying on bikinis for an upcoming two-week Maui vacation. She wanted fat loss fast without deprivation, hunger, a ridiculous fad diet, or other extreme measures.
Over my nearly three decades working with celebrities and other A-listers who must become lean quickly for a movie role or other career opportunity, I’ve developed this arsenal of 10 fat loss strategies that get impressive results fast.
- Follow my Plate formula. Make every meal lean clean protein, healthy fats like avocado, lots of leafy and cruciferous veggies, and a little bit of slow-release, high-fiber carbs like quinoa.
- Identify and eliminate sneaky sugars. Sugar hides in so-called healthy foods like fruit-on-the-bottom yogurt and balsamic vinegar, holding your weight and health hostage. Become a sugar sleuth and ditch these sneaky sugars.
- Eat by the clock. Have a protein shake within an hour of waking, eat every four to six hours, and stop eating three hours before bed.
- Substitute a protein shake for two meals a day. Load your shake with avocado, kale or other leafy greens, freshly ground flax seed, and unsweetened coconut or almond milk.
- Eliminate fruit. If you’ve got to have a little fruit, enjoy one cup of berries. Any more can create fructose overload, storing that excess sugar as fat.
- Drink about half your weight in water ounces. Keep a canteen nearby and fill it up throughout your day to effortlessly meet your quota.
- Increase your fiber gradually. Your goal should eventually be 50 grams a day from high-fiber foods and a fiber supplement. Fiber curbs your appetite so you eat less at meals.
- Get seven to nine hours of quality sleep. More sleep means more fat burning.
- Do my fat-blasting 4 x 4 Workout 3 times a week. At just 15 minutes a pop, you can knock it out in less time than it takes to find a parking space at your gym. Grab a free one here.
- Take 30 minutes or an hour for yourself to control stress levels. Chronic stress elevates your hormone cortisol, which breaks down muscle and stores fat. Meditate, breathe deeply, get a massage, or walk your dog around the block. Figure out what works for you and do it.