The Mayo Clinic has this to say about #wrinkles:
Wrinkles are caused by a combination of factors — some you can control, others you can’t:
- Age. As you get older, your skin naturally becomes less elastic and more fragile. Decreased production of natural oils dries your skin and makes it appear more wrinkled. Fat in the deeper layers of your skin diminishes. This causes loose, saggy skin and more-pronounced lines and crevices.
- Exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light. Ultraviolet radiation, which speeds the natural aging process, is the primary cause of early wrinkling. Exposure to UV light breaks down your skin’s connective tissue — collagen and elastin fibers, which lie in the deeper layer of skin (dermis). Without the supportive connective tissue, your skin loses strength and flexibility. Skin then begins to sag and wrinkle prematurely.
- Smoking. Smoking can accelerate the normal aging process of your skin, contributing to wrinkles. This may be due to changes in the blood supply to your skin.
- Repeated facial expressions. Facial movements and expressions, such as squinting or smiling, lead to fine lines and wrinkles. Each time you use a facial muscle, a groove forms beneath the surface of the skin. As skin ages, it loses its flexibility and is no longer able to spring back in place. These grooves then become permanent features on your face.
We at Acupuncture & Herbal Answers suggest these solutions:
- High quality moisturizers that incorporate refined natural ingredients, peptides, and hyaluronic acid.
- A safe, natural, mineral barrier sunscreen: We stock derma-e’s wonderful Age-Defying Antioxidant Moisturizer, SPF 15, for your face; and for your body, Sunclear’s oil-based SPF-30 and Goddess Garden Organic’s Everyday, SPF-30.
- Stop Smoking SOON: there is evidence that most of the body’s functions begin to repair themselves as soon as you quit. We can help you with this process. Acupuncture and Auricular Medicine are proven methods, and Chinese Herbs can aid tissue repair, detoxification, and circulation.
- If we are experiencing wrinkles due to our life-long facial expressions, then this is how we express ourselves. Remind yourself to stop grimacing, frowning, and furrowing: this also helps us to maintain a better attitude, and gives those around us a more pleasant environment!
- Come in for an #EnergyLightRejuvenation treatment! One treatment will convince you that wrinkles, furrows, dull and dry skin can heal! This safe, pleasant procedure yields impressive results:
Smooths fine lines and wrinkles
Lifts sagging chins, cheeks & droopy eyes
Improves skin tone, moisture, elasticity & color
Increases production of collagen & elastin
Reduces rosacea, blemishes & break outs
- Get the advise of a qualified, preferably licensed (though some states, such as Connecticut, do not require this) aesthetician, such as Elizabeth Taylor, at Mystic Wellness Center. The right practitioner will set you up with products and/or treatments that are best suited to your skin and voiced concerns.
- Enjoy your aging: it still beats the alternative! Your wrinkles are part of your richly spent life.